Roman Outpost Fort - Part 4

But first ... The Wargames Table has just passed 100,000 visits! Many thanks to all of you who visit and post comments! I really do appreciate you reading my blog.

Last year (crumbs was it really that long ago?) I started building a modest fort for my Romans to shelter in after a hard day of showing barbarians the potential benefits of joining the Empire.

Part 1 - http://thewargamestable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/roman-outpost-fort-part-1.html
Part 2 - http://thewargamestable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/roman-outpost-for-part-2.html
Part 3 - http://thewargamestable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/roman-outpost-fort-part-3.html

However, as with a lot of projects I ran out of steam. Now, after a long time enjoying Dark Ages gaming, I'm getting back in to my Romans! You may have already noticed the change of blog banner. Anyway, back to the fort. Whilst there are plenty of figures waiting to be painted I couldn't resist expanding my fort in to something more substantial. So here it is.


The extra sections (shown still in white polystyrene) allow me to use just two of the existing corners to make a fort to place on the table edge. It's about 15 inches by 4 feet. I plan to make some towers to go either in the gateway or along the walls.

Here's a close up of the new gateway, with standard issue bored sentries!


Bolt throwers are always jolly useful for putting off unwelcome visitors!


I thought it would be fun to make a collapsed wall section too. Perhaps the earth bank has collapsed following all the rain we get here in Britannia? I'll probably make some barricade bases to represent hasty repairs by the Roman garrison.


Here's the expanded fort.


The bare bases either side of the gate are where I'll be building my towers. These will be at least a full model height taller than the wall. They will be a mix of timber and rendered wattle.

Another boost for the project is that my lovely wife has kindly offered to paint it for me. I may also add a few barrack style buildings and possibly the watch tower from Grand Manner. I'm aware that the Celts weren't exactly renowned for their siege warfare capabilities but I rather liked the idea of some warbands attacking an under strength garrison whilst they hold out for reinforcements. I'm sure there will be plenty of other uses too.

Now perhaps I really ought to paint a few more Legionaries before the War & Conquest event at the Devizes & District Wargames Group Attack! 2013 show.

Comments