More Painted 1918 BEF

I've managed to get going again with painting my Great War collection of figures. Here's a few pics.

Latest BEF
(click for a larger image)

I'm now painting in batches of 10 and aiming for a 'good wargaming standard' rather than trying to achieve the best possible result.

Latest BEF
(click for a larger image)

This is because I know from experience that figures for skirmish games tend to get more wear and tear whilst playing, that's mainly because they're not on movement trays and there's more scenery to balance your figures upon. Therefore, spending ages painting to the highest standard is probably not worth it.

Latest BEF
(click for a larger image)

Also, the figures are all very similar in terms of painting so I just want to get the army done and ready for gaming. The style is a mix of the Foundry-esque 1, 2 and 3 colour scheme.

Painting Recipe (from Black undercoat)
Uniform - GW Charadon Granite, highlight with Foundry Drab shade
Puttees - GW Charadon Granite, highlight with Foundry Moss shade
Webbing - GW Khemri Brown, highlight with GW Kommando Khaki, second highlight with GW Bleaced Bone
Boots/Wood - GW Scorched Brown, highlight with Scorched/Vermin mix, or GW Bestial Brown
Leather - Foundry Tan shade, highlight with Foundry Tan mid
Skin - GW Dwarf Flesh, highlight with Dwarf Flesh / Foundry Base Sand light mix
Helmet - As uniform or Foundry Forest Green / Black mix, highlight with Forest Green
Lewis Guns - as helmet

These two batches have averaged at about 1 - 1.25 hours per miniature and I'm rather pleased with the results. Up close they're a little untidy but on the table they'll look fine. I'm trying to get some painting in every day, even if it's just 30 mins. Some nights I manage 2.5 hours!

I now have about 30 figures completed (though a few still need basing properly - after varnishing I'll flock the bases too) with my first target being 500 pts. This comprises...

Battalion HQ (5 figures)

'A' Company HQ (5 figures)
1st Platoon (10 figures incl Lewis Gun team)
2nd Platoon (10 figures incl Lewis Gun team)

'B' Company HQ (5 figures)
1st Platoon (10 figures incl Lewis Gun team)
2nd Platoon (10 figures incl Lewis Gun team)

Vickers HMG (3 figures + weapon)
Stokes Light Mortar (3 figures + weapon)

Hopefully, as these near completion, I'll order the remaining 30 or so figures and a Mark IV tank required to give me a 1,000pt battalion.

Happy Painting!

Comments